Friday, January 31, 2014

Clearing my House of Mosquitoes

Every summer, I have the problem of mosquitoes in my house. It’s a nice colonial-style property in Florida. It’s out in the country not far from the swampy areas of the everglades so there’s not a lot you can do in terms of mosquito control. If you live in a warm sticky place close to swamp, you kind-of get what you asked for. It’s even more so when you consider how many chemicals have been struck from the list of what’s meant to be healthy for use. But often the best solution is the most natural one. And so it was, I discovered, with the mosquitoes. I don’t swell up at the first bit I get, but my problem seemed to be that I was just getting too many of the damn things. For whatever reason, they were definitely attracted to me and any time I went outside the door, there was a cloud of mosquitoes attacking me. I looked up a lot of stuff online as to how to avoid them. I had come to the conclusion that the best way to grapple with the problem was to concentrate on getting the mosquitoes away from me personally rather than trying to create a physical area around my house that would be free of mosquitoes. I reckoned that it just wasn’t going to be possible to extend the zone far enough so I stuck to the plan of making me a mosquito-free zone. After some research online, I found that what you eat and drink and what you wear are probably the biggest factors involved. If you drink a lot of beer, for example, then you’ll attract them. If you take a lot of garlic or yeast (garlic works best for most people), then the mosquitoes will be less attracted to you. If you wear bright colors, then the mosquitoes will flock to you as well. The only trouble with all of that is that it’s a summer home. When the summer comes, I like to lounge around in just my bright-colored shorts drinking bottles of beer in the evening, and the curtailment of all of the above just makes miserable and angry and wondering if it’s been worth the expense and energy expended in buying myself a holiday home in the first place. So I looked into the whole area of organic control of pests and insects. The best mosquito repellent, it turns out, is natural herbs and lemon juice. If you’re thinking of flies getting rid of them and you don’t know how to get rid of flies in the house, then using these little fly predator things that eat the flies when they’re still only little pupae is how you do it. By using organic pest control products like these, I have no created a zone all around my house and yard where there are no more mosquitoes, blue flies or blue green fly. Long live the organic revolution, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment